Sault Ste. Marie has a number of unique advantages that make it a great place to do business. Learn more in the city's Business Case document.
Location, Location, Location
Sault Ste. Marie is strategically located at the heart of the Great Lakes, on the U.S. border and at the centre of Canada, all of which enable convenient and direct multimodal access to the international marketplace.
The Sault Ste. Marie area has a population of 126,000, and 60 million consumers reside within 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the city.
Located on the Trans-Canada Highway, at the northern tip of U.S. Interstate-75, Sault Ste. Marie's excellent air, highway, marine, rail and telecommunication connections ensure rapid and economical transportation of people, products, raw materials and information to global markets.
Other Advantages of Doing Business in Sault Ste. Marie
- Convenient direct access to major international airport hubs
- Access to international supply chain
- Excellent logistics and manufacturing infrastructure
- Research and operating capacity to access bio-resources
- Direct access to all major fibre optic networks and international fibre optic connections
- International consultant KPMG ranked Sault Ste. Marie as one of the top communities in Ontario in their International Competitive Analysis
- Updated zoning bylaws improve local development and allow appropriate zoning to accommodate new businesses and help diversify the local economy
- Government incentives in areas such as technology, innovation, training, site acquisition, infrastructure and manufacturing
- Highly skilled and technical workforce available
- Modern post-secondary educational programs
- Superb quality of life reflecting value and unparalleled opportunities