Quality of Life


Canada/U.S. Border Crossing


Sault Ste. Marie, Canada is connected to its sister city, Sault Ste. Marie, United States by the International Bridge. The span crosses the St. Mary's River, which runs between the two countries.

For identification requirements, along with other border-crossing information, visit the following websites:

Wait Times

Unlike border crossings in major urban centres, wait times on the International Bridge are relatively short. For real-time traffic levels, courtesy of web cameras showing vehicle lineups on both sides of the border, visit the International Bridge Administration website.  


As a rule, weapons are not allowed into Canada. However, you may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario as a visitor for hunting or competition purposes if you are 18 years of age or older, plus 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting, or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized meet.

Firearms manufactured as a fully automatic are prohibited entry, regardless of any conversion, and no firearms less than 66 cm (26 inches) in length or with a barrel less than 36 cm (182 inches) are allowed. All firearms must be declared and registered at first point of entry. Guns can be registered at Canada Customs for a fee of $50.


Dogs and cats accompanying their owners from the U.S. must have current (within 36 months) rabies vaccination certificates. Owners from other countries who wish to bring their pets should contact the nearest Canadian consulate or embassy.


Pleasure craft may enter Canada by trailer or under their own power and stay for a period of up to 12 months. The required Entry Permit is obtainable from Customs at port-of-entry. All boats powered by motors 10 HP or over must be licensed and the license number clearly indicated on the bow of the vessel. Boat licenses from outside Ontario are acceptable. For remote check-in: 1-888-CANPASS (226-7277).

Criminal Records

Individuals with criminal records wishing to enter Canada can apply for a waiver. This should be done six-to-eight weeks in advance of the intended visit. It should be noted that Driving Under the Influence convictions are considered a criminal offense in Canada. Individuals with criminal records without waivers can be refused entry. Contact the nearest port of entry Canada Immigration office for more information.